Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday at The Whistle Stop At Secrets on the lake, Lake Baroon, Montville. April 2007

The Whistle Stop

At

Secrets on the lake, Lake Baroon,

Montville.

Wednesday 25th April

To

Saturday 28th April 07

http://www.secretsonthelake.com.au/whistle/index.html

The trip up was easy; we had lunch around 1:30 before check in. I had fish and chips; Paul had a bacon lettuce, cheese and tomato sandwich.

The reception area was sooo lovely.

They’ve got big carved wooden doors and a huge pool table. They’ve also got a big chair carved from wood called the wishing chair.

For tea we had a BBQ hamper. That was nice. The T-bone was really nice. But the best part was the possums. A mummy and bub turned up, they are so tame. We were hand feeding them. The bub was so close to Paul that it may as well have sat on is lap and ate. I took some pics of them. They didn’t even flinch.

I wanted to sit with them all night. Paul lit a fire in our fire place. That was real nice.

Thursday 26th

I had a horrid night sleep last night. I hate waking up early and waiting for the sun to come up. You don’t get to see the sun here until the afternoon because were at the base of a mountain. We got out of bed at 6:30am and Paul made a nice breaky.

We had bacon, tomato, eggs, mushrooms, sausage and hash browns. Oh and juice.

We left home around 8am and drive to the reception area and took some pics, and then we walked through their other cabins and onto the lake. We came back home and fluffed around until lunch and went into Montville. I got 5 different coffees and the lady gave me 2 tins of coffee free which was really nice of her. From there we had lunch at a nice wooden café nestled in with big trees.

Paul had King prawns on a bed of rice and I had beef lasagne which was average. I tried Paul’s meal and I knew I should have that instead….

From there we saw a wine tasting store. We tried some. We got 1 white, 2 reds and a really nice port.

http://www.masonwines.com.au/site/

Oh and I got 2 soaps, (lavender, spearmint) from the cafes gift shop.

Then we went to the candy shop, they were making some. It was really interesting to watch it. There are so many steps involved.

We went next door to a natural remedies shop and I bought 2 jars of cream. Relaxation cream to help with my head aches and a sleeping balm to help me sleep more calmly. I hope that they work. They smell nice anyway.

After that we came home and relaxed.

I sat in the spa for a while, while Paul watched snakes on a plane. Then we watched Tokyo drift. It wasn’t to bad. For dinner we had steak, potato, beetroot, sausages, onions, pasta salad and juice. The possums didn’t come. I think they turn up at a certain time. Tomorrow night we’ll have to eat later.

They came a bit later and we gave them some stuff, they seemed a bit on edge this time and they wouldn’t stay and eat. They would grab a bit and run off and eat.

Friday 27th

For lunch Paul had an Italian sandwich and I had a mini seafood plate.

After that was went for a walk to the local walking track. We took a wrong turn and ended up on the 9.6km track instead of the 500m track. After a while we turned around and went the right way and oh my fucken god! Steep! Holey shit. I was dreading walking back up. We got down there and what a crappy site. You couldn’t even see the falls, there were so many weeds.

My legs were shaking when we got to the bottom. I’ve never done/walked such a steep bushwalk before. I thought I was going to pass out lol.

After that we came back home to rest for a bit, then we went to a winery called Settlers rise. http://www.settlersrise.com.au/index.html

We tried 4 whites, 3 reds and 1 port. I wasn’t a fan of most but I loved the port. I got 3 whites and 2 ports, cost $108, then we went to another winery in Melany, http://www.malenymountainwines.com.au/

I tried 2 whites, red and 2 ports. I bought 1 white, 1 red and a port, $67. Then we had a hot drink and came home.

The possums came out to dinner but they weren’t to enthusiastic. After tea we hoped into the spa for a while.

I’ve got a really sore neck; I think it’s from the pillows, their really stiff.

Saturday 28th

We started packing around 8:30am, didn’t take us long. When we got to reception I enquired about the CD that they have in the cabin and if I could purchase one, the guy said we usually give them to people who stay 3 times but we’ll give you one anyway since you like it so much. I thought that was really nice of him.

All up the trip cost $1144. $740 for the accommodation. I had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment